Thursday, March 26, 2009

U-Blog 5

With only two weeks to go until my group presents for the Lowman Home, I am trying to make sure that we have a smooth, concise, and do-able presentation. The other groups have had very sucessful workshops, giving us something to live up to but also hope that participants are interested and responding well to presentations.


In a preemptive effort to work to troubleshoot any possible problems our workshop could encounter, I plan to attend another groups presentation. I feel there are many benefits to attending another project. Firstly, I am terrible with directions. Getting to the location, no matter how early I leave, could possibly be very difficult. Attending a workshop before my groups ensures me that I will know how to get to the location and once there I will know I am in the correct room at Lowman Home Center. Anytime you have an important event at a place you have never been, say an interview or presentation, you should ensure you can get there, double checking direction is a responsible thing to do especially when you are the one at fault if you do not arrive.


Another benefit of attending a workshop prior to presenting our workshop is to ensure our workshop is set up. Since our workshop is for internet chat and we need to have AIM downloaded on the computers, I can ensure this has been done.

Preparing for this workshop is like preparing for meeting, interview, or presentation. Learning to think ahead and troubleshooting possible problems are important things to adapt yourself to. These skills are valuable in various real life future situations.


2 comments:

  1. I fully agree with you here, but I would not stress over your workshop. I think that everyone is a little stressed when going into uncharted territory, but the workshop really isn't that bad.

    However, I am also terrible with directions and learning where to go when you get to the Lowman home will be very beneficial to you. They are also doing construction and it can get a little confusing figuring out where to go.

    Another benefit that you will get from attending another workshop will be meeting the students. Many of the same people come to the workshops and they are very eager to learn. When they see a familiar face that has helped them before, they get excited and respond well to the new training. They also are more open to ask their questions when they have met you before and know that their questions will be received well.

    Good luck on your workshop, I'm sure that it will go well, and the adults will respond so well to learning to chat online. They really liked the e-mail so the chat will be good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot stress how much attending someone else's presentation helps. My group planned to have a presentation from the front of the class but as soon as I saw that the group was very old, lost most of their hearing and could barely see, I knew that one on one teaching would be successful.

    ReplyDelete