Monday, February 16, 2009

U-Blog 3

So, we have been talking about learning styles in the current Module and I began to think about online courses and the factors that influences ones adaptability to them. I took into account my current experience with TSTM 444 and my previous online course Astronomy 110.

Analyzing online classes based on learning styles was a thought provoking task, and after reading the articles related to learning types and intelligences, I realized only some are suited for online classes. Specifically, after looking at the learning styles chart link, I recognized that online courses seem to be best suited for kinesthetic and tactile learners. I say this because, in my experience, online courses are more hands on. You are not sitting in a classroom as much as you are doing assignments, projects, and learning applications. The teacher/professor needs to make sure that you are capable of the course objectives. The only way to do so is to force the student to actually preform them. In this class, its not just reading about blogs, we each created one. In astronomy, we didn't have class but we had labs to demonstrate our applications of the concepts we were supposed to be learning. Auditory learners, I feel, would struggle the most with these courses. The reason behind my theroy is that these classes do not incorporate an instructor with lectures and continual instruction. One whose learning style is auditory might be best suited to stay with the original classroom-set courses.

In the future, hopefully online courses will be adaptable to all learning styles. Already the technology is allowing various ways to learn. For the visual learner in Dr. Keanes J444, their are a number of links and posted directions for those who need to be able to read to understand a certain concept. She is working with video recording so their can be a "virtual instructor" which would benefit the auditory learner. Once more learning types can use such courses, I believe they will be come more widespread do to their cost reduction and ability to remove the classroom size limitations that other courses bring.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you; in some situations, for me at least, i found it more effective to interact both on the internet and in a classroom enviorment. The combination of both serves all three of the learning styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well. This is the first online course that I have taken. I have found the differences to be similar to reading a book vs. watching the movie. When taking an online course, the material is out there for your interpretation, where as in a classroom you are sort of limited to the teachers/books perspective on the topic.
    I hope online classes not only grow within Universities but businesses as well.

    ReplyDelete